Friday, July 18, 2008

Holidays in Crete

Hi everyone!
I am back from my holidays in Rethymno (Greece) and happy to be back must I say! I always sort of knew Greece is not the master headquarter of technology, but I have to confess that -at least- Crete was way more undeveloped than I had expected. People live in really small houses with donkeys, chicken, goats and other farm animals in the garden. The poorest population live in small houses with maybe only 2 rooms (bedroom-livingroom and toilet). I was a bit shocked but I guess the world is not a bed of roses.


Anyway! The 35-40 degrees down there were killing us (not to mention the way Greeks drive.... insane!), but we loved the swimming-pool and the food! Moussaka and Greek Salad (with Feta cheese and tzatziki)... yummy!


So here's a picture of me sitting in the Fortezza of Rethymno (a fortress built by the Cretans in 1573 in order to protect themselves from outter invasions). Behind me there must be at least 30 meters towards the sea. Here must I say the fortress sucks... not because it is ugly, but because the Turks managed to enter it in less than 24 hours! How sad is that? That's maybe why Cretans (who were originally blond and blue-eyed - think about queen Sophia of Spain) really mislike Turks, despite the fact that most of the Cretans today are half Greek, half Turk (or they very much look like Turks).


Good to be back home! :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...