Monday, August 10, 2009

Goodbye Nidaros!

Yesterday was my last day at Nidaros Cathedral. I am not sad. I had been looking forward to it. Not for the job itself, but for the lack of information my employers gave me. Because they are liars. They said a 100% job, all summer. For them all summer means 2 months and I've never ever, not one single day, have worked 8 hours. I just work 5 or 5,5 maximum. In addition, I used one whole fucking month for preparation for the job to end up working just two months. And all the weekends I was using to learn about Nidaros going to the training course I lost my work at the hotel, so I even lost money on this! And if this wasn't enough I was sat as dorguard most of the time! That's not what I had signed up for. So no, I am not sad to leave.

Here's soem pictures of the cathedral (it is beautiful). It is prohibited to take pictures on the inside, but I have found many of them on the internet that some sneaky tourists have managed to pull out. I don't mind publishing them at all. At least I served for the place, I earned my right to spread them, hehe.





This is Nidaros seen from Nidelva (the river).



The westfront, the most popular one. Here are all the sculptures of important Christian personalities. On the lowest row Jesus Christ and the twelve apostoles and some of the bishops of the cathedral. The middle row is formed by saints and the upper raw includes some of the most important kings of the old testament. There are about 67 sculptures including those that are located in the towers and that are a bit harder to see.



This is the main altar where Saint Olav's coffin was placed during the Middle Ages. Nowadays because of the protestant reformation, Olav (a Catholic martyr) was alledgedly burried under the place somewhere, but the exact place is up to day unknown.


This is a picture taken in the chancel towards the main altar. Above the altar we see the medieval wallscreen with the Vigeland's sculptures from the beginning of the 20th century. The chancel is the eldest part in the church and it dates from the year 1070.




This is the nave, the newest part because it had to be reconstructed completely after a devastating fire in 1531. Here we see the cross altar. The crucifix is made of pure silver and weighs 70 kgs.




This is the rosewindow placed in 1930 and designed by Gabriel Kjelland. It has 8m diameter, 12 m of height and it's made with more than 10,000 pieces of glass. The nine windows under it represent the judgement day.



This is the northfront surrounded by the cemetery.



And this is the other side, south.

Bye Nidaros! It was a positive experience though thinking about all the knowledge I got and how much history have I learned. But this is a period of my life I am closing for good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...