Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ooooreeeeo, oreo, ooooreo! I love cookies!


In Norway we don't have the brand Oreo but we've got Dots. It's the exact same cookie with a different name. I enjoyed myself last night eating those while watching "Valentine's Day". Bad movie, but amongst the bad movies it had some unexpected things at the end, so it wasn't as bad as I had thought, but still not good.


Well, I hoped I woldn't have to make any more references to the Eurovision contest, BUT since something happened during Spain's performance I feel I have to comment on that.
I've seen the performance in YouTube and in the middle of the song, the artist Daniel Diges receives some unexpected visit from a spontaneous dressed in jeans, a black t-shirt and a Catalan barretina (that's our national hat).

If you look, he's in the middle of the picture under the artist. Daniel Diges was asked later about what happened and - even though he is from Barcelona and is VERY AWARE of Catalonia's political situation - decided to play dumb by answering he had no idea. Here is when I feel obliged to explain.
Catalonia is now part of Spain but this has not always been like this. Catalonia used to be an independent country with it's own goverment and political institutions. Catalan is the official language (yes language, not a Spanish dialect, let's make that clear). Spain was in that time not even a country but just a bunch of independent villages and towns. It turns out to be around the 15th century the Catalan prince - named Ferran (english: Ferdinand) was an ambitious asshole that married the Spanish queen Isabella in order to enrich himself. According to the Catalan laws, the Catalan monarchy had the duty to share their richness with the population, whereas the Spanish laws allowed royalty to be in control of the country's richdom. Now that sounds really tempting, doesn't it? So the asshole married that bitch and Catalonia became part of Spain. Until now. Many Catalans still are upset and want to dissolve this union, but Catalonia is the richest region in Spain and this is the main reason they will never let us decide about our future. They need our €€€!!!

The sponatenous man yesterday is a man called Jimmy Jump who jumped in the middle of Spain performance with the Catalan hat to remind and open Europe's eyes to the Catalan situation (similar to that of Scotland and Britain we all are familiar to). So this is it, long story made short: Spain forbids us to vote for our independence in their constitution (and they call themselves a DEMOCRATIC country? HA!!!!) so we Catalans take "revenge" by sabotaging their Eurovision performance and being fucking good at football! ;-)

Always nice with some history lesson! Understand now why I am Catalan and not Spanish? Needless to say, I don't hate Spanish people. Please don't missunderstand me. My two bestfriends are Spanish. It's just that I don't feel I am. The same as I am not Estonian and I don't hate Estonian people for that! I live in Norway now and in 3 years I'll get the Norwegian nationality, but I will still be Catalan, won't I? It's just I am who I am and not who the goverment wants me to be! I hate the Spanish constitution, but I do not hate Spanish people, ok? Just making that clear because it could be misleading.

By the way! Can someone please give Daniel Diges a haircut so he stops looking like Sideshow Bob?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...